Thursday, January 7, 2010

Strapping it on.

One of my favorite things that Tom Harmon says almost every time I have heard him preach is that he has taken on verse or one principle from scripture and "strapped it on". In my mind I think of a parachute or climbing harness. Both of these things are essential for the journey. They will save your life in times of desperation.
In times of desperation. Sometimes you may find yourself in huge, life altering moment of desperation, but other times it may just be a small moment, standing in the kitchen offering a small pray of "I need some grace, Lord." 
So, today after a small moment. I knew that I needed a verse or a principle to strap on! And I found both. The verse is:

Isaiah 43:20b "I provide water in the desert and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise."

God desires us to be in a place that requires complete dependence on him. That could also be looked at as desperation. The Isrealites were desperate and God provided for them daily. He wants us to rely totally on him and desperately need him SO that we will proclaim his greatness and provision. 
I want to strap that on. I want to proclaim Chirst's greatness and watch as he provides abundantly in my 'desert' and 'wasteland'. 

The principle is a word and the word is :

Preparation. (Alternate word could be training) I am fully convinced that in our spiritual lives, every moment and especially the defining moments of our lives are preparation for what God wants to do next. We know that God is always at work, right. So, to me that means that God is always trying to prepare me, to train me. Just like in our training for the 1/2 marathon. The training is just as vital as actually showing up for the race. It may be painful at times, difficult even. But the anticipation of the end result should give us joy or determination to make it through. 
It's a blessing to be able to step outside a circumstance and see God working, preparing and training us. We may not be quite sure what is just over the horizon or even how tomorrow will unfold but the things we strap on will keep us secure while we take that next leap of faith or scale that wall of faith.

What are you strapping on today?

1 comment:

Mel said...

What marathon? People are training? Who's training? I'm not training. Marthon Shmarathon. Ok Ok I'll do it.