Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cupcake Obedience

 You know when you need to do something, or say something you get those "knots" or sometimes "butterflies" in your stomach or your heart races until you think you might go into cardiac arrest?


I've been there twice in the past 24 hours. Just in order to walk across my parking lot to the neighbors house to start a conversation. 


It's not that hard. It's just a quick jaunt across the blacktop, a short knock on the door and then…awkward conversation. Oh great!


But wait…a brilliant idea came to mind. Cupcakes.
For sure- cupcakes are the perfect conversation starter, the perfect ice breaker, and what better way to start a friendship than to bake someone cupcakes for no reason (and unexpectedly, too) 


So, not to be unoriginal but I did it with both neighbors. I took them cupcakes, we chatted and we made plans to get the kids together. Even one neighbor is stopping by after naptime today, because I told her we'd most likely be outside in Jax's pool on the deck.




Obedience brings blessings. And sometimes the blessing just feels like my heart slowing down after I've obeyed. That's blessing enough. The joy that spreads over your whole body when completed a "phase one" of obedience with God, its so gratifying. (To me and I think to God as well.) 


I've been singing a song to Jax lately that I learned when I was a kid. And it came to mind today as Jax and I walked back up our front stairs, but I knew the Lord brought it to mind for ME, not for Jax.


 "Obedience is the very best way 

To show that you believe: 
Doing exactly what the Lord commands,
Doing it happily. 
Action is the key--do it immediately, 
The joy you will receive! 
Obedience is the very best way 
To show that you believe. 
O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-E (Yes, sir!) 
Obedience is the very best way 
To show that you believe."


I pray that Kyle and I will be a living example to Jax and our other kiddos of obedience to God.  How can I teach Jax to obey me, if he doesn't see me obey me heavenly Father? And can he trust me and step out on faith to do what I ask him ( "because I said so, and that's all you need to know.") if he never sees me step out on faith and trust God? 


And if cupcakes make it easier…when in fear?- take cupcakes!!




No comments: