Thursday, January 28, 2010

Illustrate

This weeks I have shared the following stories with several people and I just wanted to share them with all of you. Both have served different purposes and both have blessed me and renewed me. I'll explain at the end. Bear with me:

$1:
When I was a kid, my family and I traveled to Butte, Montana on a mission trip during the summer. We saw alot of fun things on this long journey in our baby blue safari van. But the coolest thing that we saw on this trip was this home church. This young pastor and his wife were holding church in their home. The needed a building to have church and they also really wanted to start a christian school. There was a large old hotel downtown that the city was going to tear down, but instead they sold it to this pastor and his wife for $1.00! I have never forgotten how incredible that was.

Save us:
I heard our pastor use this illustration in a sermon once. A family was stranded on their roof in a flood. They cried out, "Lord Save us." As they wait, four boats and helicopter come by and offer to rescue them to safety. Each time, the family says, "No, our God will save us, " and refuse the rescue. Finally as the flood waters rise, the family is washed away and they drown. When they get to heaven, the ask the Lord, "Why didn't you save us." And he says to them, "I sent you four boats and a helicopter."


My moral of the stories this week is : Humble yourself and be willing to accept help when you need it and expect God to do incredible things! 


No comments: